Saturday, July 24, 2010

In Your Dreams, Show No Mercy

Before leaving Lincoln, I had breakfast with Danielle who would have been my host in Lincoln if I had made it there on time. She turned out to be fabulous and we had a long talk over our diner food and coffee and suddenly I have a new friend in Nebraska.

When I left there, it was late--almost one in the afternoon. I made a straight shot from Lincoln to Iowa City to see one of my best friends from high school whom I hadn't seen in about three years. I dropped in on her where she works at the Steak 'n' Shake in Coralville. She bought me a burger and we got to catch up a little. It definitely wasn't the way I saw myself being reunited with my best friend, but it was magical somehow.

From Iowa City, the rest of the way to Chicago was a breeze, comparatively speaking. About fifteen miles outside of the city, the storm I could see brewing on the horizon caught up with me and it began to rain not unlike the rain of Thursday night, to the point where I could barely see the road or the lines that marked the lanes. Since I was only a few miles from my exit during the worst of it, I stuck to the freeway and found my way to where I was staying while driving through virtual rivers created by what was now a flash flood.

Soaked completely through, I showed up at the doorstep of Jorge and his roommate, clutching a soggy case of MGD and only slightly shell shocked from driving through the freaking Mississippi to get there.

We dried off, had some drinks, and watched TV before I conked out on the couch and woke up this afternoon at one.

It was supposed to rain all day today, but instead it's completely gorgeous outside. Jorge and I are heading out to the Milwaukee Arts Festival to meet my friend Grant with whom I used to work at Trader Joe's a couple of years ago.

Here goes nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment